Sunday, February 14, 2016

Working with Python and Wink robot

Wink Robots - all finally working!
I'm at an interesting place with coding at the moment.  I've been challenged by an Arduino project that I mentioned in my last post - which was to build a wireless sensor that communicates via Xbee zigbee network.  In addition, I have the Wink robot from PlumGeek (thanks to Learning with Lucie )that is coded in the Arduino environment using the same coding language as the Arduino - Python.  On top of those two projects, I enrolled in a Web Design course this year because it's been awhile since I've done some web design work.  We've been doing a lot of PHP which was not something I learned years ago.  Also, HTML5 is now nearly standard, so most of the structure of websites now uses abridged elements and PHP for easy updating and universal design.  I've been challenged with writing PHP arrays.  However, I've seen some good crossover from the for and foreach statements as well as the conditional statements in Python.  I'm feeling "all in" at the moment.  Many projects, lots of coding, lots of reflection.
My desk - littered with fun toys
Fortunately, there are so many great web resources for helping out folks like me who like to stumble around in the dark and figure things out:

PlumGeek and the PlumGeek forums has been really helpful.  I joined the forum and asked for some support and the community quickly responded. 

On an Arduino forum, I found an interesting project similar to mine and emailed the poster.  Within a day a retired man from Florida who authored the post shared some resources and some advice for how to proceed with my Xbee project. 

Lastly, I've been using the web developer toolbar, firebug and W3Schools for learning all kinds of information for web design, including tutorials on PHP.  

No comments:

Post a Comment